As you get ready to snuggle up in your winter woollies and spend cosy nights in, there is no better time to get a head start on your winter health. Taking steps early in the season is a good idea to help keep you and your family well to help ensure colds and flu do not stop you making the most of winter.
Deepa Songara, Boots flu pharmacist says: "Despite what we often think, it is not the drop in temperature that causes common colds and an increase of flu during winter. We spend less time outside and much longer closer together at home or in indoor places. This 'togetherness' makes it easier to pass germs from one person to another so it is important to think ahead and try to protect yourself before the cold and flu season really kicks in. Busy communal places are ideal breeding environments for winter bugs and simple things like washing your hands or using alcohol based hand gel can help keep you well."
1,2,3 for Winter Wellness
Welcome winter with a unique offer only available from Boots UK, the NEW 1,2,3 to Winter Wellness pack includes a gel nasal spray and vitamin c to help keep you well during the colder months plus the winter flu jab service all for just £12.99 (subject to availability):
- Boots Pharmaceuticals Cold Defence Nasal Spray – a gel nasal spray which has a clinically proven antiviral effect on the cold virus and can help reduce the risk of catching a cold. Suitable for children from one year and for use during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
- Boots Pharmaceuticals Vitamin C 200mg 30 tablets - to help maintain a healthy immune system. Suitable for adults and children over the age of 12.
- Boots Winter Flu Jab Service - available at 1,200 stores nationwide the Boots Winter Flu Jab Service is here to help protect you against flu. Subject to eligibility criteria and pharmacist availability.
The 1,2,3 to Winter Wellness pack is available in 1,200 stores from 15th October 2014 to early 2015.
Hands up to winter wellness!
Each day your hands are in constant contact with the world around you, and that can mean thousands of germs. Touching your face with your hands means germs can enter your body through your, nose or mouth, while handling items that others have touched, such as pens or telephones can also help spread germs. It is not just public spaces which collect germs - with the average office desk collecting 400 times more bacteria than a loo seat, it is important to keep your hands clean and work space germ free.
Deepa Songara, Boots flu pharmacist says:
- "No matter how clean they may be, hands collect germs. Avoid muffling coughs and sneezes with your hands as this can pass germs to others.When you feel a sneeze or cough coming, use a tissue instead and quickly throw it away."
- "Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth. Germs can spread this way."
- "To prevent the ingestion of germs, wash hands with soap and water regularly, and if not available use alcohol based hand gel."
- "Staying healthy during the winter is important. You are more likely to get a cold in the winter so making sure your immune system is in good condition is essential. Always make sure you eat a healthy balanced diet and include foods rich in Vitamin C and Zinc.
- "Help stay germ free in the office as well as on the go - pens can quickly collect and pass on winter bugs so it is a good idea to keep a personal set of stationery as well as cleaning telephones and disinfecting desks regularly"
- "While sick, limit contact with others as much as possible to help prevent them from getting ill."
- "In order to catch a cold you must be exposed to someone with a cold! When they cough or sneeze, they send tiny germ-filled droplets into the air which can contaminate places for up to 24 hours so be sure to clean your hands and surfaces often"
To help keep hands clean and germ free both at home and when you are on the go,Boots Pharmaceuticals Anti Viral Hand Foam (£3.19, 50ml) kills 99.9% of a wide range of viruses and harmful bacteria, is active for up to six hours and is alcohol free – so it will not dry out your hands. Suitable for adults and children over the age of two. Use Anti Viral Hand Foam carefully. Always read the label and product information before use.
When it comes to preparing for winter, a healthy balanced diet is very important. If you feel your diet may be lacking in Vitamin C, consider kick-starting the day with a vitamin C supplement, which will support your immune system, whether that is an effervescent or chewable tablet, or a multivitamin gummy for the kids. Boots Pharmaceuticals Multivitamin Gummy Bears 30 Mini Packs* (£5.99, 30 mini packs) are designed to appeal to junior taste buds andBoots Pharmaceuticals Effervescent Vitamin C 1,000mg (£2.59, 20 tablets) create a refreshing vitamin C-rich drink. Not suitable for children under 12 years.
* For children aged three and older, one mini pack of bears daily.
Boots nutritionist Vicky Pennington says: “As we look forward to eating winter comfort foods such as warming stews, pies and puddings, adding extra vegetables and fruits will help ensure these meals are still rich in nutrients to help keep you well this winter. Keep an eye on your five a day to make sure you’re eating the recommended amount of fruit and vegetables and help ensure your immune system is winter ready.”
Help to stop the sniffles
If you catch a cough or cold this winter, Boots UK can come to the rescue with a range of treatments designed to alleviate symptoms.
Deepa Songara, Boots flu pharmacist says: "If you or the family do come down with a cough or cold there are a range of winter health treatment options to help alleviate symptoms, even during pregnancy however always speak to a pharmacist first. Often when you have a cough and cold you will have more than one symptom so speak to your pharmacist to help you find the most suitable treatment for you - you may need a combination product or a range of products that tackle each symptom. Remember that a cold and flu are not the same so always speak to your pharmacist for advice about suitable healthcare products to suit your needs."
For protection from a cold or seasonal flu this winter try Boots Pharmaceuticals Cold & Flu Defence Nasal Spray (£6.99). Suitable for use from one year old as well as during pregnancy, this easy to use nasal spray has antiviral properties and is clinically proven to defend against and reduce the severity and duration of both cold and flu.
Consider adding the NEW Boots Pharmaceutical Berry Flavoured Menthol Pastilles (£2.55) to your winter shopping list to help keep you refreshed and soothed this season
To ease nasal congestion, Boots Easy Breathing Steam Inhaler (£6.29) is designed to make stream inhalation therapy easier, more effective and safer than the traditional methods (inhaling stream from a bowl of hot water). A specially designed anti-spillage system helps protect from hazardous scalds. Suitable from three years.
For a winter cough consider Boots Chesty Cough Relief 100mg/5ml Oral Solution (£4.19), which is non drowsy and soothes and relieves chesty coughs. Always read the label. Contains guaifenesin.
To relieve symptoms of a cold or the flu consider Boots Cold & Flu Max Relief Sachets (£2.99). Containing a decongestant these can help provide relief from headaches, aches and pains, sore throats, blocked up noses as well as reduce fever. Always read the label. Suitable for adults and children aged 12 years and over.
Complement a healthy diet and support your immune system. A healthy immune system may lessen the likelihood of catching a winter cold. i Boots Pharmaceuticals Zinc 10mg (£2.99) contain Zinc which helps to support the normal function of the immune system. Suitable for adults and children
For further information, samples, images or additional quotes from Deepa Songara or Vicky Pennington please contact the Boots press office: 020 7025 firstname.lastname@example.org
About Boots UK
Boots UK is the leading pharmacy-led health and beauty retailer in the UK, with close to 2,500* Boots UK stores and over 60,000* employees. Boots UK’s purpose is to help customers look and feel better than they ever thought possible. With customers at the heart of the business, Boots UK is committed to providing exceptional customer and patient care, be the first choice for pharmacy and healthcare, offer innovative products 'only at Boots' such as the UK’s leading skincare brand No7, all delivered with the great value our customers love. Created over 160 years ago, the Boots brand is still at the heart of the communities it serves.
Boots UK is a member of Alliance Boots, a leading international, pharmacy-led health and beauty group delivering a range of products and services to customers. Working in close partnership with manufacturers and pharmacists, Alliance Boots is committed to improving health in the local communities it serves and helping its customers and patients to look and feel their best. Its focus is on growing its two core business activities of: pharmacy-led health and beauty retailing and pharmaceutical wholesaling and distribution, while increasingly developing and internationalising its product brands. Alliance Boots has a presence in more than 27* countries and employs over 120,000* people. Alliance Boots has pharmacy-led health and beauty retail businesses in 11* countries and operates more than 4,600* health and beauty retail stores, of which more than 4,450* have a pharmacy, with a fast growing online presence. In addition, Alliance Boots has around 600* optical practices, of which around 180* operate on a franchise basis, and hearingcare services in around 430* locations. Alliance Boots pharmaceutical wholesale businesses deliver over 4.5* billion units each year to more than 180,000* pharmacies, doctors, health centres and hospitals from over 370* distribution centres in 20* countries.
In June 2012, Alliance Boots announced that it had entered into a strategic partnership with Walgreens Co. (Walgreens), the largest drugstore chain in the US. In August 2014, Alliance Boots and Walgreens communicated that they plan to merge in the first quarter of calendar 2015 to create the first global pharmacy-led, health and wellbeing enterprise, which will be named Walgreens Boots Alliance.
* Figures are approximations as at 31 March 2014, with the addition of Farmacias Ahumada data at the date of its acquisition on 11 August 2014, and include associates and joint ventures.