At least one in four people (26%) in the UK have hayfever,1 and during pregnancy the allergy can be a particular problem.2 Hormonal changes make nasal congestion more common during pregnancy, and this often gets worse during hayfever season.2 Boots UK is raising the health and happiness of the nation by supporting mums-to-be with expert advice on how to manage their hayfever symptoms so they can enjoy their summer pregnancy to the full.
To help spread the word, Boots UK is joining forces with four-time Olympic champion, and first time mum-to-be, Laura Kenny.
Laura says, “I’ve had hayfever for as long as I can remember, and now I'm pregnant, this year my symptoms seem to have started earlier and to be much worse. As a cyclist, I still want to be riding, and spending lots of time outside – I want to try and carry on my normal routine and enjoy being pregnant without hayfever holding me back. But of course, like all mums to be I want to do the very best for my baby, so I’m confused about how I can manage my symptoms. Are there things I can do to stop hayfever getting in the way of me enjoying the summer and my pregnancy?
“That’s why I’m working with Boots UK to find out how to give hayfever the bump. I’m keen to help spread the word to other pregnant women about how they can make simple lifestyle changes to reduce their symptoms and make them aware of the advice available to them at their high street pharmacy.”
As a mother herself, Boots Pharmacist Angela Chalmers is helping expectant mums with tailored expert tips and treatment options for hayfever symptoms. She comments, “I’ve been pregnant during the summer, and it’s a wonderful time of year to be expecting. However I know first-hand how irritating it is not to be able to take the sprays, tablets or drops you previously used to manage your symptoms. Even though the range of medicines you can take is limited there are other steps you can take so speak to your pharmacist about how you can reduce the impact of hayfever.”
Angela’s top hayfever hacks to help mums-to-be enjoy their summer to the full:
- “Shower before bedtime to help wash any stray pollen from your hair and skin, which could keep you up sneezing in the night
- Apply a little smear of petroleum jelly or a nasal barrier balm under your nose when you’re out and about, as it may trap some of the pollen
- Make wraparound sunglasses your go-to summer style as they can help prevent pollen entering your eyes
- Opt for a waterproof mascara so whether hormones are playing havoc with your hayfever or your emotions, you avoid panda eyes
- It’s tempting to let the fresh air in as the weather warms up, but keep your windows closed in the morning and evening when pollen counts are the highest
- Dry your clothes and bedsheets inside to help prevent pollen sticking to your smalls!
- Pollen is concentrated in open grassy spaces so stick to the streets where you can
- And finally, consider wearing a panty liner. When you’re pregnant it can be more difficult to control your bladder when you sneeze!”
Boots Pharmaceuticals Allergy Barrier Nasal Spray (£7.99) isa non-drowsy nasal powder spray that delivers fast, effective protection against pollen and other airborne allergens. The spray forms a barrier and starts to work in just three minutes; meaning you help prevent symptoms from happening rather than just treating them once they do. Suitable for adults including pregnant women and children over 18 months old.
- Ends -
Notes to editors:
For more information, high res images of Laura Kenny, supporting film content, or additional quotes from Boots Pharmacist Angela Chalmers, please contact the Boots UK Press Office:
Boots UK Press Office: 020 7025 6657/ BootsHayfeverTeam@redconsultancy.com
1. AllergyUK One Airway One Disease Report, http://www.allergyuk.net/oneairway/files/assets/common/downloads/One%20Airway%20One%20Disease%20Report.pdf, last accessed March 2017
2. NHS Choices, http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/hayfever/Pages/Allabouthayfever.aspx, last accessed March 2017
About Boots UK
Boots UK (boots.com), the UK’s leading pharmacy-led health and beauty retailer, is part of the Retail Pharmacy International Division of Walgreens Boots Alliance, Inc. (Nasdaq: WBA), the first global pharmacy-led, health and wellbeing enterprise. With 2,509*stores in the UK, Boots UK is committed to providing exceptional customer and patient care, be the first choice for pharmacy and healthcare and offer innovative 'only at Boots' exclusive products such as the UK’s leading skincare brand No7, all delivered with the great value customers love. Created over 165 years ago, the Boots brand is still at the heart of the communities it serves.
*As of 31 August 2016, excluding equity method investments
[RL1]To add from radio day briefing doc