- Appointments for a Free Health MOT* for over 40s are now available at Boots, bringing together a range of checks, advice and care to support people’s health
- The MOT includes the NHS Blood Pressure Check Service with an optional BMI and waist circumference measurement alongside personalised lifestyle advice
- Consumer research commissioned by Boots shows that 68% of people want to feel healthier, which increases to 73% in the over 40s1
A Free Health MOT for over 40s is now available to book at over 1,000 Boots stores in England. The MOT aims to help eligible patients identify and take the right steps to address high blood pressure and the potential for increased risk of other health conditions.
An estimated six to eight million people are living with undiagnosed or uncontrolled high blood pressure.2 High blood pressure can cause serious health complications including heart attacks, heart disease and strokes, but rarely has noticeable symptoms.
The Free Health MOT will give over 40s the information needed for them to take actions to support their overall health. It consists of a 15-minute appointment with a Boots pharmacist, during which they will receive:
- The NHS Blood Pressure Check Service, with GP referral if needed
- Optional BMI (Body Mass Index) and waist circumference measurement
- Lifestyle guidance on exercise, nutrition, sleep, mental wellbeing and stopping smoking
- Personalised advice and recommendations
At the end of their appointment, patients will receive a booklet containing information about how to lead a healthy lifestyle and a section with the results of their MOT recorded.
Claire Nevinson, Superintendent Pharmacist at Boots, said: “The Free Health MOT at Boots is intended to help people gain greater insight into their health and take the steps they need to improve it. As we get older, we become more vulnerable to conditions like high blood pressure, so it’s important that we take steps to help stay healthy. The checks done during the MOT and the advice provided not only helps individual patients lead healthier lives but also reduces pressure on the NHS by offering accessible care in pharmacies at the heart of communities.”
The availability of appointments for a Free Health MOT at Boots comes at a time when new research indicates people want to lead healthier lives.
According to a new consumer survey commissioned by Boots, over two-thirds (68%) of people want to feel healthier, which increases to nearly three in four (73%) in the over 40s, with over half (54%) in this age bracket being motivated by wanting to live a longer life.3
Boots is the leading provider of healthcare on the high street with the biggest range of products and a growing number of services. It is committed to offering exceptional value in healthcare and between 1st April until 30th June, Boots Advantage Card holders can save up to 50% on selected healthcare products through Boots Price Advantage.**
For more information on the Free Health MOT at Boots and to book an appointment, visit boots.com/health-mot. Appointments are available from today until the end of June.
1. Censuswide survey, 2,005 nationally representative UK respondents aged 18+, Jan 2023
2. UK Factsheet, British Heart Foundation, Feb 2023
3. Censuswide survey, 2,005 nationally representative UK respondents aged 18+, Jan 2023
4. Boots pharmacy team survey, 41 respondents, Jan 2023
*Free health MOT available in participating stores, England only. Appointments available from now until the end of June. Waist circumference & BMI checks optional. The NHS Blood Pressure Check Service is for adults aged 40+ that do not currently have a diagnosis of hypertension, adults under 40 that have a recognised family history of hypertension (at the Pharmacist’s discretion) and adults referred by the GP for the measurement of blood pressure. Subject to availability.
**Customers must be logged into a boots.com (or boots.ie account) to be able to receive the discount on online purchases.