- Claire Nevinson’s advice includes looking into an NHS pre-payment certificate for repeat prescriptions and exploring own brand products.
- Latest data shows that almost one in two healthcare products sold at Boots are own brand – and Boots Advantage Card members get an extra 10% off.
- Boots Advantage Card holders can save up to a third on hundreds of healthcare products through Price Advantage.
Not only can winter be an expensive season with the run up to Christmas, it can also be a time when people are more likely to become unwell from infections like the cold, flu, or COVID-19.
That is why Boots Superintendent Claire Nevinson is sharing her top tips to help customers find ways to save on their healthcare this winter.
Claire said: “We know that winter can be a difficult time for our purse strings as well as for our health, as we spend more time indoors in close proximity to others. At Boots, we are here to help our customers stay healthy through expert advice from our pharmacists alongside great value products.”
Boots offers a huge range of healthcare products including an extensive own brand range that make up almost one in two of all healthcare products sold at the retailer. Through the Boots Advantage Card, customers can unlock 10% off own brand products, including a wide range of healthcare lines.* Customers can also buy one get the second half price on selected healthcare.**
Here are Claire’s five top tips on ways to save:
Speak to your pharmacist
“If you’re unsure which products meet your needs, you can speak to your Boots pharmacist about your symptoms, and they can recommend suitable products. Getting advice on the products most suited to your needs, rather than selecting something that might not be suitable, can save you from needing to purchase additional products down the line.”
Save on repeat prescriptions with an NHS pre-payment certificate
“For those not entitled to free prescriptions, patients must pay an NHS prescription charge per item in England. Those that get regular repeat prescriptions may benefit from an NHS Pre-Payment Certificate (PPC). The certificate is paid for in advance for your prescriptions for a set period and, in the process, saves money. There are two types of NHS prepayment certificate: one lasting three months, and one lasting 12 months."
Take your medicines as instructed
“For any medicine – whether they are prescription medicines or over the counter, it’s important to take them as instructed by the product information leaflet and your pharmacist or GP. Not taking medicines properly can result in symptoms not being treated, which may result in more treatments being required, which can of course result in more spending.”
Explore own brand ranges
“Own brand medicines often contain the same active ingredients as branded versions but can be a lot cheaper. At Boots we offer a wide range of quality, own-brand medicines, vitamins and other healthcare and wellness products that our customers can trust.”
Sign up for a Boots Advantage Card
“Signing up for a Boots Advantage card can help you make big saving. We now offer Price Advantage on over 2,000 products including in healthcare. Advantage Card members also get an extra 10% off own brand products and personalised offers through the Boots app.”*
Here are some top Boots own brand healthcare picks to help see people through the winter.***
- Boots Dual Defence Nasal Spray, £6.25
- Boots High Strength Vitamin C + Vitamin D Effervescent Tablets, £2.49
- Boots Vitamin D 10 µg Food Supplement, £2.75
- Boots Good Gut Live Friendly Bacteria +Immunity Support, £12.50
- Boots Pharmaceuticals Mucus Cough Relief, £3.99
- Boots Everyday Vapour Rub, £1.25
* You must be signed in and have an Advantage Card assigned to your account to be able to shop savings. Normal Advantage Card terms and conditions apply. Excludes in-store orders. No Price Advantage in airport stores. Read more Advantage Card offer terms and conditions here.
** Subject to availability. Offer ends 7 November 2023. Most Boots. Normal Advantage Card T&Cs apply. Card must be linked to account. Excludes instore ordering. Cheapest item half price. Always read the label.
*** Always read the label. The Boots Superintendent Pharmacist does not endorse these products.