- Boots has received two independent accreditations for its work as an age inclusive employer and as a Menopause Friendly Employer
- With over 51,000 team members, 80% of whom are women and 27% over the age of 50, these accreditations recognise Boots’ work to be an equal opportunities employer with an open and inclusive culture
Boots has become the first health and beauty retailer to achieve an independent accreditation from Menopause Friendly Accreditation’s Independent Panel.
This accreditation recognises the work Boots, Boots Opticians and No7 Beauty Company are doing to create a workplace culture where women can feel empowered to talk about the menopause transition and other important health issues and get the support they need.
With over 51,000 team members across the UK, 27% of which are over 50 and made up of 80% women, these two accreditations are important milestones in the work that Boots is doing to support an inclusive and open workplace culture around age inclusivity, diversity and menopause awareness.
As a further demonstration of commitment to inclusivity, Boots alongside Boots Opticians and No7 Beauty Company has also become the first health and beauty retailer to achieve the Age Inclusive accreditation from the age diversity organisation, 55/Redefined.
With a recent 55/Redefined study* showing that 56% of over-50s want to continue working beyond 65, Boots is committed to playing a leading role in changing attitudes and challenging age discrimination. Boots values skills and experience, irrespective of age, and is focused on creating an inclusive workplace with equitable opportunities for all.
Ben Horner, HR Director at Boots, commented: “I’m so proud of both of these accreditations. This is a continuation of our long-standing commitment to our team members and our customers at all stages of life. I know there is much more for us to do to continue to promote a culture where we can talk openly about the menopause and its symptoms.”
Rt Hon Caroline Nokes MP, Chair of the Women and Equalities Select Committee, said: “I know Boots and No7 have been enthusiastic about upskilling their workforce, not just to benefit customers, but also to make sure they are able to support each other. There are some fantastic examples of employers paying for HRT and I am so impressed with Boots commitment on this. There is still a long way to go to break the taboo of menopause, but with pioneering employers we are making real progress.”
Lyndsey Simpson, founder and CEO of 55/Redefined, commented: “Age Inclusive employers play a leading role in positively changing attitudes towards older workers in their own businesses, networks and communities. Not only are employers like Boots serving a large, diverse and consistently overlooked demographic of customers, but they are reaping the benefits of inclusive recruitment practices.”
The accreditations come after Boots announced in April it is covering the cost of team members' prescriptions Hormone Replacement Treatment (HRT), furthering its diversity equity and inclusion commitments. Now as an Age Inclusive and Menopause Friendly employer, Boots is continuing to build a culture of allyship and advocacy where everyone can thrive.
Boots’ Menopause Approach, which forms part of its Gender Equity Plan, aims to:
- Raise awareness about the menopause and experience at work;
- Create an environment where we can talk openly about the menopause; and
- Empower and enable those experiencing the menopause to get the support they need.
Notes to Editors:
For more information, please contact: Media.Enquiries@boots.co.uk
*‘Shut Out, Forced Out and Overlooked’: Commissioned by consumer membership organisation 55/Redefined and charity ProAge, this report highlights the current motivations, attitudes, and views on working beyond the age of 55 from the perspective of employees and employers.
- Female founder tackling ageism, part of the $7.5billion global D&I market
- Three distinct brands: Life/Redefined, Work/Redefined and Jobs/Redefined
- Modern, global brand for the affluent over 50s: 40k+ members, 4300 with full profiles
- B2B clients including Barclays, Hargreaves Lansdown, ITV, Capita & the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games
The 55Redefined group of companies is a social and economic enabler. We champion age diversity with a dynamic and disruptive voice for change across D2C, B2C and B2B markets and tackle different and damaging aspects of ageism.
Through all our work, we exclusively focus on supporting businesses and consumers to fundamentally change their approach to the 50+ life phase, which results in benefits for individuals and society in general.
Life/Redefined is a free to join lifestyle membership platform for today’s young-minded, fun-loving generation who just happen to be over 50, full of inspiring stories and expert opinions on topics from career advice to travel, fitness and financial planning.
About Menopause Friendly Accreditation
- Aim is for every employer to be menopause friendly.
- Our Independent Panel and supporting expert team from Henpicked: Menopause in the Workplace are passionate about helping every organisation introduce the right menopause awareness, education and support. We are trainers, leaders, comms experts and healthcare and other industry professionals, bringing together our collective know-how to educate and guide organisations towards receiving the Menopause Friendly accreditation.
- Boots is a sponsor of the Menopause Friendly Awards On 22 September 2022, the leading industry-recognised ceremony celebrating workplace excellence, with employers that have committed to changing the way we all think and feel about the menopause.
- Recognising employers and individuals who are supporting their colleagues every day, helping them be at their best at work and at home.
- Raising money for charities and education furthering greater understanding of the menopause.