This Stoptober, Boots UK is supporting people across the UK on their ‘stop smoking’ journeys, celebrating every milestone: whether it is experiencing that first smoke free kiss or eating strawberries and enjoying the benefits of taste buds getting back to their best.
With many years’ experience of providing support for people who are cutting down or stopping smoking, Boots pharmacists know that having access to the right help can make all the difference. There are many different ways of assisting on the ‘stop smoking’ journey, and the expert pharmacists at Boots UK want to help everyone find the way that works best. From expert advice and support, to smoking control products and the unique Smoke Less Plan available in-store, its pharmacists are on hand to ensure that every smoke free attempt is a successful one.
The Boots UK Smoke Less Plan is available at selected Boots stores to help people on their journey to cut down or quit smoking. As a free flexible programme it provides personalised advice and helps understanding of smoking patterns, triggers and cravings to help find the right stop smoking support. Boots healthcare advisors have been specially trained to provide support both in-store and over the phone. The Smoke Less Plan includes:
- Initial consultation to help prepare for the quitting journey and agree personal goals
- An information pack including a booklet, appointment card and a refer a friend flyer
- An appointment to establish a quit date and create a personalised action plan which may include choosing smoking control products (charges may apply)
- A follow-up appointment usually 7-10 days after the quit date to see how people are getting on
- Optional ongoing follow up appointments/phone calls to discuss progress are available
- A unique Nicotine Exchange Service that allows you to switch to a different form of Nicotine Replacement Therapy during your smoke free journey, if you feel your current one is not right for you
Boots UK pharmacist Angela Chalmers says: “Stoptober is the perfect opportunity for people to take that decision to quit smoking, but why not change your mind set and see October as the month of STARTober and the chance to start enjoying all the benefits that come with being smoke free.”
There are many benefits to giving up smoking:
- Many people rediscover their sense of taste and smell just a few days after quitting smoking. Celebrating each smoke free week by cooking a recipe or eating out at a restaurant can be fun and will really put your taste buds to the test
- Quitting smoking can help freshen the skin’s complexion and can prevent outbreaks and dryness. Upgrading a dental routine with a new toothbrush and whitening tooth paste will really enhance the whiter teeth that can be seen when smoking less
- Quitting smoking is a great time to think about your overall health more generally so why don’t you book an eye health check? Stopping smoking can halt or reverse damage to eyes2 and reduce the risk of eye health conditions such as cataracts and age-related macular degeneration
Cut down or quit with Boots Pharmaceuticals NicAssist range
Research shows people can double their chances of stopping smoking if they use Nicotine Replacement Therapy.1 Boots UK has a wide selection of smoking control products to choose from to help find the right one for you. The NicAssist range includes patches, gum, lozenges, tablets and nasal spray. In line with the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence guidelines which state that a combination of treatments are proven to be effective3, Boots UK is also offering 3 for 2 on all smoking control products (cheapest item is free) during Stoptober (the offer starts on 17 September and ends on 11 November 2014).
Boots Pharmaceuticals NicAssist 15mg INHALATOR (4 pack, £5.99 and 20 pack, £21.05)* has a longer lasting cartridge and can be used to help beat the urge to smoke. The device may also help to keep hands busy to help ease the symptoms of the process of cutting down. Available in store and online now.
- Boots Pharmaceuticals NicAssist Minty Fresh 2mg or 4mg Gum (prices start from £4.99 for 30 pieces)*
- Boots Pharmaceuticals NicAssist Ice Mint 2mg or 4mg Gum (prices start from £13.00 for 105 pieces)*
- Boots Pharmaceuticals NicAssist Fruit Fresh Nicotine 2mg or 4mg Gum (prices start from £13.00 for 105 pieces)*
- Boots Pharmaceuticals NicAssist Translucent Patch (available in three strengths: 25mg (Step 1), 15mg (Step 2) and 10mg (Step 3). (Prices start from £13)*
- Boots Pharmaceuticals NicAssist 24 Hour Transdermal Patch, which is available as a 21mg (Step 1), 14mg (Step 2) and 7mg (Step 3) patch. (Prices start from £13)*
Lozenges & Spray
- Boots Pharmaceuticals NicAssist Lozenges (96 1mg or 2mg lozenges, £10.60)*
- Boots Pharmaceuticals NicAssist 10mg/ml Nasal Spray (10mg/ml, £19.99)*
Additional help in-store
The NHS Stop Smoking Service (NHS prescription charges may apply) is available in selected Boots stores for people who want a structured approach to quitting smoking. It includes:
- A private and confidential consultation with a Boots pharmacist
- Regular counselling sessions
- Smoking control products such as patches, lozenges and gum**
- A Smokalyser test to assess carbon monoxide levels***
- Expert advice on becoming smoke free - from how to curb the cravings to what health benefits to expect
The free NHS Quit Kit is also available at participating Boots pharmacies. The kit is developed by experts and is packed with practical tools and information to help people quit smoking for good. The Quit Kit contains:
- A voucher for a week's free trial of smoking control patches
- A quit planner to help keep notes of the reasons why people want to quit, plus what makes them crave a cigarette so they can recognise the triggers
- A health and wealth wheel to discover how quitting smoking can help people on their way to a healthier body and bank balance
- A quit journey wallchart
- An expert help card which contains all the information needed about the free expert advice available to help people quit
A free kit can be picked up from participating Boots stores. To find the nearest store that offers the NHS Stop Smoking Service please visit www.boots.com/storelocator.
In addition to the support available in-store, boots.com/smokeless hosts a range of tools and guidance to help every smoke free journey, including:
- A smoking control products
- A smoking control product guide to help choose the right product for different lifestyles and needs
- A money saving tool to show how much money is saved in a day, week, month or year when smokers quit
Notes to editors:
*Always read the label. Stop smoking aid. Contains nicotine. Requires willpower
**Will vary according to local Primary Care Organisation service criteria & eligibility
***Available in selected pharmacies only
For more information
Please contact the Boots Press Office on 020 7025 6657/ email@example.com
About Boots UK
Boots UK is the leading pharmacy-led health and beauty retailer in the UK, with close to 2,500* Boots UK stores and over 60,000* employees. Boots UK’s purpose is to help customers look and feel better than they ever thought possible. With customers at the heart of the business, Boots UK is committed to providing exceptional customer and patient care, be the first choice for pharmacy and healthcare, offer innovative products 'only at Boots' such as the UK’s leading skincare brand No7, all delivered with the great value our customers love. Created over 160 years ago, the Boots brand is still at the heart of the communities it serves.
Boots UK is a member of Alliance Boots, a leading international, pharmacy-led health and beauty group delivering a range of products and services to customers. Working in close partnership with manufacturers and pharmacists, Alliance Boots is committed to improving health in the local communities it serves and helping its customers and patients to look and feel their best. Its focus is on growing its two core business activities of: pharmacy-led health and beauty retailing and pharmaceutical wholesaling and distribution, while increasingly developing and internationalising its product brands. Alliance Boots has a presence in more than 27* countries and employs over 120,000* people. Alliance Boots has pharmacy-led health and beauty retail businesses in 11* countries and operates more than 4,600* health and beauty retail stores, of which more than 4,450* have a pharmacy, with a fast growing online presence. In addition, Alliance Boots has around 600* optical practices, of which around 180* operate on a franchise basis, and hearingcare services in around 430* locations. Alliance Boots pharmaceutical wholesale businesses deliver over 4.5* billion units each year to more than 180,000* pharmacies, doctors, health centres and hospitals from over 370* distribution centres in 20* countries.
In June 2012, Alliance Boots announced that it had entered into a strategic partnership with Walgreens Co. (Walgreens), the largest drugstore chain in the US. In August 2014, Alliance Boots and Walgreens communicated that they plan to merge in the first quarter of calendar 2015 to create the first global pharmacy-led, health and wellbeing enterprise, which will be named Walgreens Boots Alliance.
* Figures are approximations as at 31 March 2014, with the addition of Farmacias Ahumada data at the date of its acquisition on 11 August 2014, and include associates and joint ventures.
BootsWebMD.com is a collaboration between Boots, one of the UK's most trusted pharmacy-led health and beauty retailers, and WebMD, one of the world's leading online health information sites. A team of UK-based health journalists and physicians ensures that all content is relevant and medically accurate. In addition to original content, BootsWebMD.com has partnered with leading content providers such as the British Medical Journal (BMJ Best Treatments) and the National Health Service from NHS Choices. Other site highlights include the WebMD Symptom Checker*, the Medicines and treatment centre, and slideshows and videos.
*THIS TOOL DOES NOT PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE. It is intended for general information purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment and should not be relied on to make decisions about your health. Never ignore professional medical advice in seeking treatment because of something you have read on the Boots WebMD Site. If you have an urgent medical problem please call your doctor, or NHS direct, immediately or in the case of emergencies dial 999.