With more recently testing positive for COVID-19, many people are looking for ways to help speed up recovery and get to feel like themselves again. Boots Chief Pharmacist, Marc Donovan explains there are a few simple steps that can be taken to help with recovery.
1. Stay hydrated. It is important to drink lots of water when your body is fighting an infection. If you are experiencing a high fever, this could lead to sweating, which will make it even more important that your body replaces lost liquids. It is best to drink water, but you can also drink squash mixed with water, herbal teas or tea with honey if suffering from a sore throat.
2. Eat a healthy diet. When feeling unwell and recovering from an illness, it is even more vital to eat a healthy, balanced diet including at least five portions of a variety of fruit and vegetables each day. Fruit and vegetables are a good source of vitamins, minerals and fibre, and the NHS states that these should make up just over a third of the food you eat each day.*
3. Increase your vitamin intake. Some people may find that they have less energy than usual even after the virus has left their body so may want to consider taking a multivitamin supplement. Whilst this isn't usually necessary if eating healthily, if you do want to take a supplement, look for one containing B vitamins which can support the release of energy from food. It is also important to consider taking a Vitamin D supplement at this time of year; the government recommends 10 micrograms per day.
4. Relieve symptoms. You can help to relieve any mild fever and general body aches and pains by taking paracetamol or ibuprofen, if suitable for you. Alternatively, you could consider a combination cold and flu symptom relief product with additional ingredients to address particular symptoms such as a stuffy nose.**
5. Rest up. Get a good night's sleep and rest as much as possible during the day to help your body to recover.
* Eat well NHS (www.nhs.uk)
**Always read the patient information leaflet provided inside the pack before taking any medicine and be especially careful not to take more than one paracetamol containing product at the same time.