- Boots UK comparable Q3 retail sales up 24% with market share gains across all categories, led by beauty
- Boots.com sales more than doubled compared to pre-Covid levels, representing >13% of Boots Q3 retail sales
- Store footfall increased 45% versus prior year, with strong performance in flagships and travel locations
- Strategic focus on beauty, healthcare and digital continues to yield strong results
30 June 2022 – Boots has delivered impressive growth for the third quarter ended 31 May 2022 driven by the success of its ongoing transformation programme, with a continued strong increase in retail sales, further market share growth led by Beauty, and a strong digital performance. In addition to building on an increasingly powerful online presence, store footfall is up and the number of healthcare services offered both online and in store is growing rapidly.
As the UK’s leading health and beauty retailer, Boots is firmly positioned to continue seizing the opportunities presented by the growing healthcare and beauty markets.
Sebastian James, Managing Director of Boots UK & ROI, commented: “The execution of our transformation programme and a sharp focus on expanding our key categories of healthcare and beauty, has driven strong sales and market share growth and further strengthened our position as the UK’s leading health and beauty retailer. Significant investment in both our digital platforms and in our stores is expected to drive continued market leading growth.
"As store footfall returns to pre-pandemic levels and with cost of living pressures increasing, the launch of our Price Advantage scheme, the expansion of our own label product range and our commitment to freeze prices on 1,500 essential products have been particularly well received by customers.”
Boots UK Q3 financial and operational highlights:
- Total sales grew 13.5% despite macroeconomic trading headwinds
- Comparable retail sales increased 24%, reflecting footfall recovery and strong commercial execution – with market share gains across all major categories, led by beauty
- Comparable pharmacy sales broadly flat due to tough comparatives, however pharmacy services up 22% despite lower Covid-19 testing and vaccinations reflecting stronger demand for new online healthcare services
- Boots.com continued its robust performance with sales more than doubled compared to pre-Covid levels, representing over 13% of Q3 retail sales versus 6% pre-pandemic
- Increased footfall across Boots, up approximately 45% – with strong performance in flagship and travel locations. Basket size up approximately 14% versus pre-Covid levels
- Reached nearly 500,000 customer orders for innovative digital healthcare service, Boots Online Doctor, since it launched a year ago
- In Beauty, launched No7 Pro Derm Scan technology and personalised consultation service in over 400 Boots stores in April – generating very positive reviews and driving strong sales growth
- Continued to invest in our store portfolio, including new stores in Bicester and Belfast International Airport and reinvented stores such as the flagship store on Kensington High Street
- Rolled out ‘price freeze’ on more than 1,500 own-brand products at Boots in early June, to help ensure they remain affordable for customers and enhance wider value proposition
- Price Advantage continues to provide Boots Advantage Card holders with exclusive discounts on over 400 products each month
- The newly expanded own label range offers trusted Boots quality and expertise at low prices
- Boots strategic review completed by WBA, with decision to retain the business supported by strong performance and growth
Additional operational highlights:
- Beauty: Boots is the number one beauty destination in the UK, with above 40% market share
- Launched breakthrough technology and personalised consultation service No7 Pro Derm Scan in over 400 Boots stores (April), driving the brand's biggest month on record for sales of day creams in May
- Over 100 Beauty Reinvention halls now open, with more to follow this year
- Strong offering of affordable own brand beauty including Revolution, 17 and Sleek
- Online beauty sales grown by 125% in the last two years, now accounting for about 50% of sales on boots.com
- Boots offers over 500 beauty brands in-store and online including MAC, NARS, Drunk Elephant, Fenty Beauty and Kylie Cosmetics
- Healthcare: Boots is the UK’s largest pharmacy chain and one of the most trusted and respected brands in the country
- Over 100 healthcare services now available – both online and in store – covering anything from acne treatment to period pain relief
- Boots continues to support the NHS by delivering Covid-19 vaccinations, including vaccinating almost 7,500 children in the last quarter
- Strong increase in pharmacy services up 22% despite lower Covid-19 testing and vaccinations reflecting stronger demand for new online healthcare services
- Reached nearly 500,000 customer orders for innovative digital healthcare service, Boots Online Doctor, since launching a year ago
- Launched new services as part of our expanded healthcare offering, including Shingles Vaccination Service and free NHS blood pressure checks
- Committed to removing all wet wipes containing plastic fibres from shelves by the end of 2022, replacing them with biodegradable alternatives
- Boots.com: The UK’s number one most visited health and beauty website
- Boots App continues to grow, with now over 5 million active users, up 32% YOY
- Since December, boots.com has operated plastic-free deliveries
- Trial partnership launched with Deliveroo in 2021 now delivering over 700 products in as little as 20 minutes from 14 pilot stores. Further roll out due this calendar year
- 14.9m active Advantage Card customers in the last 12 months
- Next day click-and-collect is available at over 1,600 Boots stores
Notes for editors:
Boots is the UK’s leading health and beauty retailer. Its mission is to be the first choice for pharmacy, health and beauty - caring for people, customers and communities everywhere.
With over 53,000 team members and 2,247 stores, ranging from local community pharmacies to large destination health and beauty stores, Boots serves its customer and patients’ wellbeing for life.
Boots is the UK’s number one beauty destination and largest pharmacy chain providing dispensing and essential healthcare services, and it offers an unrivalled depth and breadth of product offering including its innovative portfolio of brands, including No7, the UK’s No1 skincare brand, Soap & Glory, Liz Earle, Sleek MakeUP and YourGoodSkin. For over 170 years, Boots has listened, learned and innovated, and it continues to challenge itself to improve its products and services every day.
Boots is part of Walgreens Boots Alliance, which is a global leader in pharmacy-led, health and wellbeing retail. More company information is available on boots-uk.com.
*Figures accurate as of 31 May 2022
 Comparisons are versus the year-ago quarter unless otherwise stated