Boots UK pharmacies are offering early access for customers aged 65+* to get their flu jab this week after receiving initial stock of the vaccine specifically for this age group.
Available from today in Boots pharmacies is the Advanced Trivalent vaccination, recommended by the NHS for those aged 65 and over. Everyone over this age is eligible for the NHS flu vaccination* which can be given in their local Boots pharmacy, which often offer extended opening hours, including options for weekend appointments and added accessibility due to convenient community locations. Right now, 90 per cent of the UK population are within 10 minutes of a Boots store.
Although the flu jab won’t protect against COVID-19, both of these viruses have an impact on the respiratory system so if you can protect yourself against flu, it can be a huge benefit to your overall health including your immune system.
This is the 20th year that Boots has helped protect the nation against flu by offering a Winter Flu Jab Service, with the first private flu jab service at Boots launching in 2000.
Boots Pharmacist, Jyoti Bakshi, comments; “It’s important this year more than ever that everyone, especially those above 65 years of age, and those deemed ‘at risk’ by the NHS, consider getting a flu jab to help protect them. Currently, Boots has more than 5,000 pharmacists and technicians trained to administer more than one million flu vaccines to customers across the UK.
“When we first began offering a flu jab service, only 21 stores took part in a pilot programme, and today we’re able to offer it in over 2,000 of our stores across the UK**. Over the years we’ve been able to offer customers a safe and convenient service to help protect them from the flu and we are proud to have also offered it on behalf of the NHS in addition to the Boots private service for many years now.”
More people than ever are planning ahead to get their flu jabs before the flu season starts. To meet this demand, Boots UK opened its online flu jab booking system earlier, after over 85,000 customers pre-registered their interest to hear about flu jab availability first.
The Quadrivalent vaccination, which is suitable for adults aged between 16 and 64, and children aged between 12 and 15 will also be available in Boots stores from next Thursday (17th September). All appointments for both NHS and private flu vaccinations are being taken now here, or you can pop into your local store to book too. Customers must have a pre-booked appointment for the flu vaccination this year.
For those not eligible for a free NHS vaccination, Boots will also continue to run its private service where customers can get the vaccination service for £13.99.
- The risk of serious illness from flu and consequent hospitalisation is higher among those aged 65 and older as they are more likely to have an underlying health problem
- To continue putting patient safety first, Boots has increased in-store measures to ensure all customers feel at ease when going for a vaccination for example,customers will be asked to read key information online and where possible attend their appointment on their own to avoid any crowding in the pharmacy area.
- Customers will also be asked to adhere to social distancing measures in waiting areas, sanitise their hands and continue to wear a face-covering throughout their appointment. It is also advised that customers bring their own pen to complete any essential paperwork and they will be asked not to speak to the pharmacist during the actual vaccination to minimise the risk of droplet spreading. If the consultation room is small, the pharmacist may ask to keep the door open during the appointment.
*Available in most of our pharmacies in England and Wales and in selected stores in Scotland, subject to availability. Eligibility criteria apply. See Boots.com/flu for more information. Those living in areas where the NHS flu jab is not available at Boots can, if eligible, get this through their GP.
**The private flu vaccination service. The NHS Service is available in over 1,800 Boots pharmacies
- NHS Flu Jab Service is available for those 18 years and over in most Boots pharmacies in England and Wales and in selected pharmacies in Scotland. Eligibility criteria apply. Subject to availability
- Boots private Winter Flu Jab Service is available in most Boots pharmacies across the UK for those aged 16 years and over and is available for those aged 12-15 years in selected Boots pharmacies, injectable vaccination only. Appointments for those aged 12-15 years can only be booked in-store. Eligibility criteria apply, Subject to availability
Visit boots.com for more information.
About Boots UK:
Boots UK (boots.com), the UK’s largest pharmacy-led health and beauty retailer, is part of the Retail Pharmacy International Division of Walgreens Boots Alliance, Inc. (Nasdaq: WBA), the first global pharmacy-led, health and wellbeing enterprise.
With 2,465* stores in the UK, its purpose is to champion everyone’s right to feel good. Boots UK is committed to providing exceptional customer and patient care, be the first choice for pharmacy and healthcare and offer innovative 'only at Boots' exclusive products such as No7, a leading UK skincare brand, Soap and Glory and Liz Earle.
Created 170 years ago, the Boots brand is still at the heart of the communities it serves.
*As of 31 August 2019, excluding equity method investments