Boots UK introduces Chickenpox Vaccination Service in 30 stores
Chickenpox is a common childhood illness, with more than 90% of the UK population experiencing chickenpox by the age of 12 . This is why Boots has introduced a new and convenient private Chickenpox Vaccination Service** in 30 of our stores across the UK, providing protection against the virus.
Chickenpox is highly contagious and spreads through coughing, sneezing and direct contact, and there are an estimated 651,000 cases in the UK each year[i]. Whilst the NHS does not offer a universal childhood vaccination service against chickenpox, they do vaccinate some individuals including non-immune healthcare workers and individuals who come into close contact with those with weakened immune systems. This then protects the person at risk of catching chickenpox through close contact. The Boots service is for people who may wish to consider getting vaccinated outside of the NHS.
The Boots Chickenpox Vaccination Service is available in 30 stores across the UK to those aged 1-65.The service costs £65 per vaccination and the course consists of two vaccinations given six weeks apart, so the total cost for the course is £130. The in-store consultation and vaccination, carried out by a trained pharmacist, is quick and convenient, taking around 20 minutes to complete.
Asif Aziz, Director of Pharmacy Services Boots UK, comments: “As the UK’s leading pharmacy-led health and beauty retailer, we are delighted to be able to offer the Boots Chickenpox Vaccination Service in 30 of our stores. This is a fantastic example of where we are developing our pharmacy services offer in the UK, to ensure that we continue to be at the heart of the communities we serve.
“The introduction of this service highlights the enhanced role that community pharmacies can play in supporting those services offered by the NHS and GPs, as well as the excellent clinical skills our trained pharmacists offer to support patients’ health in locations and at times that are convenient to them.”
As well as offering a private pay service to customers who want to be vaccinated in order to avoid contracting the disease, the Boots Chickenpox Vaccination Service** will provide customers with self-management advice.
To view more information about the service, or to find the nearest store offering the service and book an appointment online, click here.
For more information, please contact Adam Mallaby from the Boots UK Press Office on 0115 949 5750 or Adam.Mallaby@boots.co.uk
Notes to editors:
Full list of stores where the Boots Chickenpox Vaccination Service is available:
- Mansfield Four Seasons Centre, 39 Four Seasons Centre, Mansfield, NG18 1SU, Nottinghamshire
- Burton On Trent Coopers Square, 1 Coopers Square, Burton-on-Trent, DE14 1DG, Staffordshire
- Kettering Gold Street, 35 The Mall, Gold Street, Kettering, NN16 8JL, Northamptonshire
- Cambridge Petty Cury, 28 Petty Cury, Cambridge, CB2 3ND, Cambridgeshire
- Kings Lynn High Street, 94-96 High Street, King's Lynn, PE30 1BL, Norfolk
- Sudbury Market Hill, 12-14 Market Hill, Sudbury, CO10 2EA, Suffolk
- Stafford Market Square, 10-14 Market Square, Stafford, ST16 2BD, Staffordshire
- Colchester Lion Walk, 4-6 Lion Walk, Colchester, CO1 1LX, Essex
- Swansea Morriston, 30 Woodfield Street, Morriston, Swansea, SA6 8BH, West Glamorgan
- Sidmouth Fore Street, Fore St, Sidmouth, EX10 8AQ, Devon
- London Ealing, 35 The Broadway, 36 Ealing Broadway Ctr, The Broadway, London, W5 5JY, Middlesex
- London Islington High Street, 35-37 Islington High Street, London, N1 9LH, Middlesex
- Edgware Broadwalk Shopping Centre, Broadwalk Shopping Ctr, Station Rd, Edgware, HA8 7BD, Middlesex
- Tonbridge High Street, 9 High St, Tonbridge, TN9 1SG, Kent
- Dover Biggin Street, 19 Biggin St, Dover, CT16 1BH, Kent
- London Piccadilly Circus, 44-46 Regent St, London, W1B 5RA, Middlesex
- Dartford Bluewater, Unit MSU02 Lower Thames Walk, Bluewater, Greenhithe, DA9 9SJ, Kent
- Liverpool Clayton Square Shopping Centre, Clayton Square Shopping Ctr, Liverpool, L1 1QR, Merseyside
- Poole High Street, 190-196 High Street, Poole, BH15 1SX, Dorset
- Salisbury Silver Street, 41-49 Silver St, Salisbury, SP1 2NG, Wiltshire
- Portsmouth Commercial Road, 194-204 Commercial Rd, Portsmouth, PO1 1HB, Hampshire
- Harlow Broad Walk, 37 Broad Walk, Harlow, CM20 1JA, Essex
- Milford Haven Havens Head, Havens Head Business Pk, The Docks, Milford Haven, SA73 3AU, Dyfed
- Glasgow Braehead Centre, 68 Braehead Shopping Ctr, Kings Inch Rd, Glasgow, G51 4BP, Lanarkshire
- Lymington Waitrose, Stanford Rd Within Waitrose, Lymington, SO41 9GF, Hampshire
- Guiseley Retail Park, Guiseley Retail Park, Park Road, Guiseley, Leeds, LS20 8QH, West Yorkshire
- York Monks Cross Retail Park, 7 Monks Cross Shopping Park, Monks Cross Drive, York, YO32 9LF, North Yorkshire
- Nottingham Riverside Retail Park, Riverside Park, Nottingham, NG2 1RU, Nottinghamshire
- Weston Super Mare Locking Castle District Centre, Summer La, Weston-Super-Mare, BS24 7AY, Somerset
- Altrincham Retail Park, Unit 8B Altrincham Retail Park, George Richards Way, Broadheath, Altrincham, WA14 5GR, Cheshire
About Boots UK
Boots UK (boots.com), the UK’s leading pharmacy-led health and beauty retailer, is part of the Retail Pharmacy International Division of Walgreens Boots Alliance, Inc. (Nasdaq: WBA), the first global pharmacy-led, health and wellbeing enterprise.
With 2,486* stores in the UK, its purpose is to champion everyone’s right to feel good, and Boots UK is committed to providing exceptional customer and patient care, be the first choice for pharmacy and healthcare and offer innovative 'only at Boots' exclusive products such as the UK’s leading skincare brand No7. Created over 165 years ago, the Boots brand is still at the heart of the communities it serves.
*As of 31 August 2017, excluding equity method investments
**Eligibility criteria & charges apply; subject to pharmacist and stock availability
 World Health organization, 2014
 http://adc.bmj.com/content/88/10/862.long (see ‘RESULTS’)