Boots and BBC Children in Need: making a real difference to the lives of children across the UK
2012 was our ninth year of supporting BBC Children in Need and we’re proud to say that over the years we’ve raised an incredible £5.5 million for this worthwhile cause. From pyjama parties to face painting, we’ve had great fun raising the cash, all the time knowing it’s for such an important cause, making a real difference to children and young people in communities across the UK.
Just like Boots, BBC Children in Need is a national institution that we all love. Who can resist Pudsey Bear?
There are lots of reasons why, here at Boots, we love BBC Children in Need. BBC Children in Need works to make a positive difference to the lives of disadvantaged children and young people right here in the UK. It’s not just about the annual appeal night when we’re glued to our TVs, they are tirelessly raising money throughout the year and making grants to over 2,600 worthwhile projects across the UK to help ensure children can have a safe, happy and secure childhood.
Putting the ‘fun’ into fundraising
Here at Boots we’ve really made an effort to put the ‘fun’ into fundraising with events such as a mascot race, cake sales, beauty salon and a bingo bonanza game. Here are a few highlights:
- Colleagues raised over £1,000 at our store in Stafford Market Square by going to work in their pyjamas, male colleagues getting sponsored to have their legs waxed (ouch!), and running raffles
- Our Bluewater store in Dartford raised a scrumptious £2,700 by going “baking crazy”, selling cakes and holding a “guess the weight of the cake” competition
- Colleagues at our store in Castle Douglas, Scotland raised almost £1,000 by holding Pudsey themed quiz nights throughout the whole of November
- For the first time ever at the annual fundraising evening, in November 2012 Boots was the top call centre in the UK, taking an incredible 6,835 calls and nearly £220,000 of donations from members of the public.
- Overall in 2012, Boots raised around £700,000 for BBC Children in Need
Here’s a reminder of why every penny counts:
- £1 could prevent a child from going hungry at breakfast time for a week
- £2 could get a child from a deprived area off the streets and into an after school club session
- £50 could provide equipment for a sensory room, helping children with disabilities explore and understand the world around them
We are proud to continue to work with BBC Children in Need to support their vision that every child in the UK has a childhood which is safe, happy and secure and allows them the chance to reach their potential.