Feeling good at work!
At Boots, people’s health and wellbeing is at the heart of everything we do. We want to help you feel good, whether you’re taking care of your family with the help of our experienced pharmacists, relaxing with a Botanics bubble bath or simply enjoying a bit of retail therapy in our stores.
This is also true for our teams and we are always looking for ways to support the people who work for Boots, helping them to have happy, healthy lifestyles.
We asked some of you what you thought about our teams’ wellbeing. Here are some of the findings:
- 92 per cent of you think companies have a responsibility to look after their colleagues’ health, as this could help them deliver fantastic customer service
- 88 per cent of you feel that unless we looked after our colleagues’ health how can you trust us to look after yours?
- 86 per cent of you feel that Boots should be a driving force in healthcare promotion and this includes ensuring health for employees
This clearly shows that you feel we have a big role to play in looking after our teams, and we totally agree. As a major national employer with almost 60,000 people working with us, we want to ensure they are cared for as part of our organisation. In a recent colleague survey:
- 94 per cent of our staff understand how they contribute to our aims and goals
- 91 per cent believe in our mission to motivate everyone to ‘feel good’
So we know we’re doing something right. Let’s take a look at some of the major schemes helping our staff feel great at work:
We work closely with this Business in the Community (BITC) campaign, which strives to improve wellness in the workplace and helps UK businesses have some of the most engaged workforces in the world. To read more about our work with BITC in this area, please click here
Occupational Health Service:
Providing advice on work and health to employees, our Occupational Health Service was first granted SEQOHS (Safe Effective Quality Occupational Health Services) status in 2011 and has been reaccredited since, acknowledging the quality scheme we provide
Bike to Work Week:
Running (or riding) alongside National Bike Week, we encourage colleagues to try cycling to work to raise awareness of the health benefits of cycling. During the week we give out advice, hold competitions, offer free bike checks and have some biking promotions. Our colleagues have found the event a great way to kick start a new interest in pedal power!
Products and services:
We offer a wide range of products and services especially for our teams,including: staff discount card, discounted eye tests, glasses and contact lenses, plus discounted flu vaccines and seasonal product discounts which we offer to colleagues through ourLets Make It Happen booklets
We have also listened to the types of issues our staff feel they need help with, and offer support for people in the following areas, for example:
- Safeguarding and Prevent: we have a Safeguarding and Prevent policy which sets out how we help our young or vulnerable colleagues to stay safe from harm, whether that’s inside or outside of work. It also tells our colleagues what signs they might spot if someone is at risk of harm and who they should contact if they are worried, so we can get them the help they need. The policy is displayed on our noticeboards at work and can also be found under Related Resources (Policies) on this page.
- Healthy Minds, raising awareness and understanding of mental health and stress through our internal website and e-Learning programme
- Healthy Backs, raising awareness and understanding of how to manage back problems and stay fit for work through our internal website